Sonetel market themselves as a "global phone system".

Quote from customer support:

"Please note that UK mobile numbers has international reachability issues when you try sending a SMS from an international number."

Then what on Earth is the point of offering these numbers if they can't receive SMS from anywhere than the UK........?

"However, US numbers can receive SMS from any mobile phone."

No, I tried, the USA mobile numbers marketed as able to receive SMS-to-email cannot receive SMS from Australia (Or Whatsapp even, which is in the USA........) so they're wrong.

Calls fail 20-30% of the time.

Never again.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss bad quality of sonetel phone service. Sonetel needs to read this review and look into the issue (if any) according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned sonetel phone service in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Sonetel.

Had an Experience with Sonetel?

Comments

I so agree, Sonetel services are not ***, they used to be better 3-4 years ago, I have ditched them.

Sonetel
Sonetel Verified Representative

I am really sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with our service.

Given my personal commitment to quality - I take this feedback very seriously.

We provide local phone numbers in countries worldwide, and although we only work with tier-1 partners, there are unfortunately some limitations in some cases - which are out of our control.

I agree that the limitation on SMS for UK mobile numbers is annoying, and I hope and believe that our partner will resolve this soon.The UK mobile numbers are added recently to our service portfolio.

We do not yet support the ability of sending SMS on any numbers - but only receiving - so a very small portion of our customers use our service for inbound SMS today.

The issues with SMS to a US number is however more surprising.

We prohibit the use of our service for identity validation - when signing up for various other services. The reason for this is that there has been large amounts of organized misuse, where people create fake accounts in other services in order to commit crime. Since we do not want to facilitate that, we prohibit all use of our SMS service for identity validation purposes. All senders identified as senders of SMS identity verification PINs (Amazon, Craigslist, Whatsapp, Vkontakt etc.) are automatically blocked in our system.

So, I don't know if your issue may have been related to this. We have no reports of any general issues with incoming SMS to our US...

If you have experienced 20-30% call failure in the calls you have made, we would really want to know exactly what numbers you have called - and how, to identify the specific condition that caused this. I totally understand the frustration you have expressed.

To the extent you would be willing to work with us to resolve the specific issues you experienced (we can't fix the UK SMS issue though) we would be most grateful.Yours, Henrik Thomé CEO and Founder Sonetel

to Sonetel Maple Grove, Minnesota, United States #1115034

Wow, sounds pretty sincere and coming from the Founder and CEO no less.